Sunday, May 07, 2006

PAD06 - Freedom

I certainly don't want to generate a political discussion on the PAD meta gallery. Instead, I'll talk about the photo and why I chose to shoot it in this fashion. I spotted this sign on Central Pike in Foster, Rhode Island yesterday while I was heading to a covered bridge shot. The sign spoke volumes in one of the most liberal states in the nation. When I returned today to photograph it, I was struck by the number of American Flags I saw flying throughout the towns of Scituate and Foster. Unlike many other parts of the state, these communities have not discarded all the flags flown in the patriotic days after 9/11. In fact, there are three flags flying in this photograph alone (including the one on the sign.) To emphasize the patriotic fervor still apparent in these communities, I opted to fade the background into black and white while leaving Old Glory in blazing color.


Click to view full image


Technorati:
IceRocket:

No comments: