Thursday, February 23, 2006

PAD06 - The Green Pig

Pulling into Copan Ruinas, Honduras, a couple of us noticed an old house with the green truck overgrown with weeds. Thinking it would make a great photo, the following day we set off in search of the house and car. After two hours of wandering Copan Ruinas we came up blank. I spotted a small group of people standing on a corner and thought they might recognize it. Now, my Spanish is pretty rudimentary, but I knew enough to ask, "Donde es una casa con un muy viejo verde coche?" In English it's "where is a house with a very old green car?" They all looked rather amused and responded "No lo se." (I don't know.) I repeated the question for several other people all with the same result. Finally, we spotted the house - about a block from the hotel, of course - and we got our photos. But the story doesn't end there. You see, it turns out that "un coche" does mean "a car" in Mexico. Unfortunately, in Honduras and Guatemala it means "a pig"! So here you have my photo of a house with a very old green pig...


Click to view full image


Technorati:
IceRocket:

No comments: